At Tanadoona, we see nature as the catalyst for growth. The outdoors provides the chance to unplug and build personal connections with friends and the natural world. As a Teen Outdoor Leader, you’ll begin to discover your personal leadership style and put it into action!
Teen Outdoor Leaders meet throughout the season to work on skills used to thrive in the natural world and apply those skills to ways we can improve our modern world. This is a great learning and team-building opportunity for teens who are thinking about joining our summer Leadership Development Program.
We understand that teens need spaces where they feel safe, valued, and free to explore. In Teen Outdoor Leaders, teens are encouraged to discover how they can bring their personal, authentic leadership styles into the community through service learning. Plus, we’ll bring in special guests to learn more about nature-based and environmental careers!
This program is teen-driven based on your interests; each session includes:
- An outdoor activity (snowshoeing, orienteering, outdoor cooking, archery, canoeing, pond study, gardening, etc.)
- Leadership exploration (communication, problem solving, leadership styles, service learning, discovering your spark or passion, etc.)
- Connecting with other teens like you who share a passion for the outdoors and environment
- And a snack
This program is designed for teens who:
- Are 12-17 years old.
- Like to build your outdoor skills.
- Are looking to participate in and lead service projects.
- Are curious about how to become a more confident leader.
- Want to spend more time with other teens who love nature and Tanadoona.
- Want to have their voice co-create their leadership program!
Meetings: 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month, Sept. 15 through Dec. 15 | 6-8pm
Teen Retreat + (socially distant)Team-building: Saturday, Sept. 19 | 12-5pm
Contact us if you have any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org | 612.235.7284
Please bring and wear your masks. We will maintain social distancing of 6’ or more and plan to program outdoors as much as possible. If we need to move indoors, we’ll move to the Community & Dining Center which accommodates 6’ minimum distance between participants. All spaces will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Please plan to eat dinner before arriving. We will have individually wrapped snacks available; feel free to bring your own as well (peanut and nut-free).
Meet the Program Leaders
Jayna or “Blue” has worked at Tanadoona the past two summers as a counselor and then as the Health and Wellness Specialist. She has been Camp Fire Minnesota’s Registration Consultant since January. Jayna enjoys playing music, hammocking with a good book and exploring the outdoors.
Chris has been a Naturalist with Camp Fire Minnesota since February. His favorite part of nature is seeing how all living things interact with each other. In his free time, he likes watching basketball and spending time with his dog.